Monday, August 17, 2009

What I'm Reading

So, I'm going to try to commit to doing a weekly tidbit on what I'm currently reading. I blow through books pretty fast and usually have more then one going at a time. Reading can really influences my ideas and inspire me to try new things. Lately, I've been really into what Powell's calls: Gastronomic Literature, and right now I'm currently reading Anthony Bourdain's Nasty Bits. In the same vain of his first book, Kitchen Confidential, it's all about his 'adventures' as a chef. Here is a link to a great Times review if you want a (much) more detailed description.


I think what I am taking away most from this book is the importance of chefs/cooks in the restaurant. I know this sounds really obvious, but I have spent a few years in my time as a waitress, and for those of you who have worked in a restaurant, you now there is a bit of a separation between the Front Of House (FOH) and the Back Of House (BOH). I always just thought of the cooks as kinda sweaty and a little bit creepy and never really thought about how hugely important their work is. I mean, a waitress can only do so much...people eat at a restaurant for the food. So, next time you go out to eat, think about the poor line cooks in the back sweating over the grill just to fix you a wonderful bowl of chicken pasta and be thankful!!

No comments: