Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Apothecary Office Ephemera

In our new house, we finally have space for an office. It will mostly be used by my hubby for grad school; so designing something more masculine for this space has been a bit of a challenge for me. His only request was for it to be 'quiet'. Literally, just a quiet place to study...so...I have come up with a "turn-of-the-century apothecary meets mid-century industrial" concept. Below are some images I have gathered for inspiration. I imagine this will be a bit of a work-in-progress for a while; but I promise 'before' and 'after' pictures of the real space eventually!

First up below is our desk! This image is from Country Living; but we found the vintage 1940's desk on craigslist for a steal! I don't like the 'western' feel of this space...but was excited to find our desk in use!

I really like these open wall-mounted shelves from Pottery Barn instead of bookshelves. I think for our space, we will use industrial brackets to hang them and mix in storage cubbies and antique milk bottle containers mounted with the shelving.

I know I'm not alone; but I just love the styling of Anthropologie's latest catalog. Below are a couple of images that I would really like to capture the feel of in our space...too bad we don't have the exposed brick walls...


This lamp is amazing...I love it. It is the beginning in a series of images (three below) I found from a NY Times article about "The New Antiquarians". It's not only an interesting read, but also great to see other bloggers and artists inspired by the old-made-new. I especially love the dark walls (below); but seeing as we have a rental, I won't paint this dark. I'm still figuring out my feelings on taxidermy. I think I prefer the porcelain replicas more then the real thing.





Lovely accessories to finish off the room that I would love to own: vintage replica fan, terrariums in bell jars (image from cookie mag), vintage industrial file cabinet, antique dutch apothecary jars, and an edison bulb. The light fixture in the room is original to the house and has exposed bulbs that would look beautiful with one of these replicas.





1 comment:

Jo said...

I love the ideas here! I saw this was an older post so I'm going to look for the "after" now!