I had so much fun baking this pineapple upside-down cake! It actually turned out! I can't wait to eat it tomorrow at the bridal shower :) This was my first attempt at making this cake, and surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as complicated as I expected! I have posted the recipe below. It is one that I found in the Heirloom Baking book by the Brass Sisters.
1/2 C butter, melted
1 C brown sugar
7 slices canned pineapple rings drained; juice reserved
7 candied maraschino cherries
1C cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, separated
1 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1) Pre-heat oven to 350. Swirl melted butter in 9 in. cake pan, coating the sides, but allowing most butter to settle on bottom. Sprinkle brown sugar over bottom of pan.
2) Wipe pineapple slices dry on both sides with a paper towel. Also dry cherries. Arrange in a decorative pattern on bottom of cake pan.
3) Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat YOLKS in a large bowl. Add sugar, vanilla, and 5tbs pineapple juice. Mix well. Add sifted dry ingredients and combine.
4) Place egg WHITES in bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat until moderately stiff, fold into batter.
5) Bake 30-35 min. Cool 2-3 min. Invert cake. If bits remain in pan, retrieve and place on top of cake.