Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The New Victorian

This is totally new ground for me. Mens fashion. I've taken inspiration from menswear textiles as interior fabrics; but don't usually give a lot of pause to high fashion for men. This new Victorian look, has caught my attention fully. Victorian-era design has influenced a wide aspect of design as of late...think taxidermy and vintage-industrial that has been so popular in recent years; this is just one more piece of the whole antiquarian picture.

Yesterday, I posted about the revival of Tintype photography. These below images are the result of that behind-the-scenes peek at the process. They truly look like they are from the 19th-century...but they're not! These are clothes from the likes of Mark Jacobs, J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Orvis, Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen, right off the runways! They aren't old costumes or 'replicas'; most items are available for purchase at Barney's or Bergdorf's!


I think this one with the bike (from Abici) is so Portland.

Does this not look like a Civil War image? With that military jacket? So cool!

Ah. I think this one may be my favorite. Those boots pulled over the skinny tweed trousers? A manly dandy.


While this may be the very definition of a "Dandy", I can't help but LOVE the rugged outdoors feel of it all. I guess Victorian tradition spun in with a century of fashion evolution begets this lovely time capsule. All images shot by David Sokosh for The New York Times

No comments: