Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WPA Art

I know, I know, more posters! But this is a trend that I am seeing more and more! And I must be totally honest; my hubby DB spotted this one looooong before I did, so kudos to him!

WPA Posters are a bit reminiscent of the now famous "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters from Britain during the war. However, these are quintessential Art Deco Americana. I feel like a lot of times we overlook great American design in favor of that of our creative European counterparts. These are proof that we have a history of great design right here in the states.

The WPA program was at its peak during the depression and into the first World War. It began as part of the New Deal to help put people back to work doing everything from building roads and bridges, to promoting art and theater and my personal favorite: the government hired out of work journalists to travel around the country and collect recipes and stories from different regions. These were recently collected and put in a book called America Eats!; such an interesting read!






These top three are available for purchase at Hickoree's



National Parks available for purchase here.


Acadia available for purchase here.


This is such a tiny sampling of all the great images out there. I can hardly being to decide which one I want the most! There are so many options; it was really hard to narrow it down to just these few.

1 comment:

davidbenjaminbrandt said...

Oh B, I'm pretty sure I got turned on to the posters through something you were showing me, but thank you :)